Japan Mission Team

  • Our Fearless Leader: Mr. Yeager
  • The Guys: Michael, Josh, Joe
  • The Gals: Rebecca, Evie, Amy
  • Our Hosts: Mr. and Mrs. Ogawa

Monday, April 14, 2008

Orientation

Since our group orientation last week, I have been busily researching customs and etiquette of Japan. There are seven in the mission team now. Our orientation focused on planning - what to pack, what to prepare for, and what to expect. Here are some examples.

Slippers: When entering a home (or hotel, or sometimes even a school), you are supposed to remove your shoes. Slippers are provided by the owner. I will make sure to pack shoes that are easy to slip on and off, as well as new socks, since everyone is going to see them! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_and_etiquette_of_Japan#Visiting_someone.27s_house

Ofuro: The Japanese generally lead very busy and stressful lives. A nice, hot soak at the end of the day is a great way to relax. A traditional Ofuro consists of a shower area for washing and a deep tub for soaking. This sounds just lovely... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuro

Toilet: Japan has both traditional "squat" toilets as well as modern Western toilets. The modern ones may have various electronic controls. Sometimes, the hand-washing sink is on top of the toilet's water tank, thus conserving water by using the drained water for the next flush. There are separate toilet slippers for use inside the restroom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_toilet

Gifts: Oy, the gifts. We will be giving and receiving many gifts during our stay. Gifts are always given when visiting someone's house. I have selected several USA-themed items to bring with me to give to our hosts and others that we meet. Souvenirs are a big deal as well. I read that many Japanese are so focused on picking out just the right gifts to bring back to their friends and family that they miss out on actually enjoying their vacations! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_and_etiquette_of_Japan#Gifts_and_gift-giving

I am preparing my testimony to share when I am asked why I came to Japan. We hope to have opportunities to lead groups of students with songs and games. Pray that God will give me His Words to speak - that I will be prepared to answer any question, that I will not have language barrier issues, and that I will have a discerning spirit to know when to speak and when to listen.

-Aimi

Powered by Qumana

No comments: